Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Christmas biscuits with added sparkle


It was a weekend of baking of the tree decoration and biscuit variety! As I thought my biscuits turned out to be quite yummy I thought I'd share them with you. They are super simple to make and once they are done you can get really creative with how you decorate them but I went for something simple. Supermarkets always have cheap icing sets. A cute idea would be to have a biscuit each for table settings and you could personalise each one.


The recipe is as follows! 500g of plain flour, 250g of butter, 140g of icing sugar and 10 extra grams for luck, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (optional) and milk.

Leave your butter out of the fridge for a while to soften as this will make it much easier and then cut it up into squares and pop in a bowl with the 500g plain flour which is best to sieve in and the 150g of icing sugar. You need to rub all of the ingredients together so you are left with something that resembles bread crumbs, this can take a while so keep at it, it will eventually work and this is why it helps to have the butter soft. Then add the vanilla essence and cinnamon if you wish. Next you add milk a table spoon at a time until you have a dough like consistency which isn't sticky. I found it easier to do this in stages so ended up with three sections of dough using a tablespoon of milk each to bind it together. Then all you need to do it flour a surface and a rolling pin/anything you can use a rolling pin to then roll the dough out making it about 5mm thick and then using cookie cutters or a knife to cut out your desired shapes. This recipe makes about 30 large or 60 small biscuits which was way more than I needed but I didn't want to half the recipe for fear I'd mess it up but that is an option. Make sure you put a thin layer or butter or grease proof paper on a baking tray and place your biscuits on top so that they do not stick to the tray. All you need to do now is just bake your biscuits in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes. I put mine on for 10 and then kept an eye on them to gage when they were done. Once done leave them to cool/harden.


Once cooled it is time to decorate! I used a snowflake cutter for my biscuits so to decorate I brought some sugar sparkle dust from Asda which is basically icing sugar with finely milled edible glitter. It is simple but looks super pretty! I also used a shot glass and made some small 'coffee' biscuits which is a good thing to do if you have some dough scraps left over.

I can't believe it is going to be christmas next week! It seems like it has just snuck up so quickly after wishing it was December for so long haha. What have you done to get into the Christmas spirit? More importantly have you finished your Christmas shopping?! - Amy x

Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram

No comments: