Friday, 10 October 2014

Why is weight loss so hard?



Okay so I'm not going to pretend I have the answer to that question but I'm gunna share my experience and what I think about it all. This won't be relevant to everyone but for me as I am 'classified' as over weight it is something I want to do and if any of these insights help anyone else like they have helped me then that's great. Now for me I have always felt the pressure of other people wanting me to loose weight which has really just made me want to gorge even more. When I have decided I want to loose weight for myself I have always set unrealistic goals like loosing three pound a week which hey may be possible in the first few weeks or months but is not realistically do able for the long haul and then when I fail I think oh well I may as well gorge. If I've eaten something that wasn't a particularly healthy choice I just think sod it the whole day is ruined I may as well eat what I want and then that turns into days, then a week ect. Do these scenarios sound familiar?

I've never tried to loose weight for the sake of loosing weight. There has always been a reason, my graduation or someones wedding for example and I have put huge amounts of pressure on myself that has just lead to gorging on poor choices. Last week however was different. I just decided to eat a little less as I was having two big meals a day instead of the 'normal' small meal and main meal. Just from changing that one thing I lost 2 lbs and I had gone out for dinner 3 times last week as well so it made me think 1. Holy shit I've been over eating by a fair amount and 2. There is absolutely no need to beat yourself up to get a result. I think you need to go into wanting to loose weight by not having a time limit, not having pressures from other sources such as a holiday, event or even relatives and not setting yourself unrealistic goals. Small goals that are realistic are the way forward, for example next week I may decide to try out not drinking full fat fizzy drinks for a week.

Say for example you don't do any exercise which is currently me. I know people tell you that you should do at least 2 and a half hours a week I think but realistically are you gunna just wake up one day and that's what's going to happen? No. My advice is to pick an activity you like, pick the best day and the best time possible to do this for example I may pick a monday evening at 8pm and ride my exercise bike for 30mins during eastenders. Yes that is only 30 mins a week but it's almost certainly achievable and that achievement will make you feel good. You can always revisit your plan and add in more time you feel is achievable. The aim of the game is to not take on too much too soon so you don't get disheartened. You have gotta play the long game and just know day by day you are going in the right direction, loosing that one pound a week for example, doing at least some exercise a week as that is more than perhaps you are doing right now and you are not going backwards, you are going forward.

Don't beat yourself up about having that cake or going out for the night. You still need to live your life but by making small changes gradually, they will soon add up to big changes and you will feel and see a difference eventually. The longer it takes the more likely it is that you will keep the weight off or stick to those healthier choices and it will just become a part of your daily routine. Also if you have naggy relatives or friends, just don't tell them! They will soon notice on their own, you don't need that extra pressure or questions like how's it going or I don't suppose you can have a dessert all. the. time.

So this is me putting it out there. I am trying to loose weight but I'm not going to do 'weekly weigh ins' if I don't want to as I'm not going to put pressure on myself, even if I just loose one pound a week, I'm still loosing. I guess this is a selfish post for me as if I do get down about it I can read this and I've given myself a pep talk haha. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you as I know how hard it can be, I've battled with my weight since I was 13/14 and I'm nearly 23 now. That is basically 10 years and I've come to a point where enough's enough. I'm going to do something about it but I'm going to do it slowly, in my own time, no time limits, no pressure and in a healthy way as each small change or loss means I'm going in the right direction. - Amy x

Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram

2 comments:

Ellabella said...

I've been trying to loose weight too and i have been doing quite well, but whenever I decide to take a day off and enjoy life I feel like i'm back to square one which just sucks!

Ellabella: Heart Shaped Coconut Bath Bombs

Amy Tibble said...

I think you've just gotta try and not be hard on yourself, one day is small in the grand scheme of things so try and put the time in perspective x